Documents and Papers Required for Adoption of Stepchildren by Foreign Citizens
According to the No 2008-4 file issued by the Ministry of Civil Affairs, parties involved in stepchild adoption by a foreign citizen shall prepare and submit documents and papers as follows:
I. Documents and papers prepared by foreign citizens
1. Application letter for inter-country adoption;
2. Birth certificate;
3. Marriage certificate of the adopter and the child's biological father or mother;
4. A certificate provided by the competent authority of the adopter's nationality country approving this inter-country adoption, or a certificate provided by the competent authority to approve the adopted child's naturalization or entrance into the country;
5. Two bareheaded photos (two inches) of the adopter.
All the above mentioned documents except the fifth item should be notarized and authenticated before being sent to CCAA through government departments or adoption agencies of the nationality country of the foreign citizen.
II. Documents and papers prepared by the person placing the child for adoption
The person placing the child for adoption shall submit the following documents and papers to the civil affairs department of local provincial government, autonomous regions or a municipality directly under the Central Government:
1. A written confirmation by the biological mother or father of the stepchild that he or she agrees with the adoption;
2. His or her residence booklet and identity card;
3. Residence certificate or identity card of the adoptee;
4. A certificate certifying the parenthood between the sender and the child;
5. Two bareheaded photos (two inches) of the adoptee.
If the stepchild is older than 10 years old (10 years included), he/she shall provide a statement of his/ her will to be adopted.
If both the stepchild and the person placing the child for adoption are considered eligible after review of the above-mentioned papers by local authorities, their documents will be sent to CCAA by local authorities to proceed with the adoption.